Environmental NGOs, members of Working Group 3 “Environment, Climate Change and Energy Security” of the Ukrainian National Platform of the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum and Working Group 5 “Energy, Transport, Environment and Climate Change” of the Ukrainian part of the EU-Ukraine Civil Society Platform addressed the leadership of the European Union with a call to clearly link the plan of post-war reconstruction of Ukraine “RebuildUkraine” with environmental reforms and harmonization of national legislation with EU environmental standards.
According to the authors of the appeal, the reconstruction plan should take into account the following:
– comprehensive environmental monitoring;
– environmental responsibility;
– environmental assessments, including environmental impact assessment and strategic environmental assessment;
– access to environmental information, transparency and public participation in decision-making processes on environmental issues;
– sustainable forestry and agriculture;
– circular economy and waste management;
– sustainable water resources management;
– biodiversity protection;
– environmental financing;
– development of sustainable mobility, limitation of air pollution by transport.
The Ukrainian environmental community is convinced that the RebuildUkraine plan, which outlines the key reforms and investments needed to build a prosperous and sustainable future for Ukraine, should provide for all environmental reforms initiated under the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement before russia’s military aggression.
The appeal notes that the implementation of the above list of necessary reforms will help Ukraine to emerge stronger and more resilient after the terrible consequences of the russian invasion. Over time, these reforms will also support Ukraine on its European path.