Despite the fact that the Strategy of regional development of Ukraine envisages expansion of the network of protected areas, during 2015 only in 10 regions of Ukraine decisions about creation of protected areas were adopted. Moreover, one protected object was created by the Ordinance of the President of Ukraine.
EPL environmentalists analyzed the process of creation of new protected areas in 2015.
It is worth emphasizing activeness of creation of new protected areas in Ternopil region, creation of big natural reserves in Kyiv and Dnipropetrovsk regions as well as work of Luhansk military-civil administration that managed to create 4 protected areas at the difficult time of the war.
In general the situation looks like this;
- Cherkassy region1 – 3 monuments of garden and park art have been created totally covering 2,18 ha;
- Zakarpattia region2 – 4 natural reserves have been created totally covering 832,2 ha;
- Chernihiv region 3 – the regional landscape park “Nizhynskyi” have been expanded by 2389,6343 ha, 2 natural reserves have been created totally covering 857 ha;
- Odessa region 4 – 2 monuments of garden and park art were expanded by 10 ha and one was decreased by 7,3 ha;
- Dnipropetrovsk region 5 – a natural reserve cpvering 933 ha was created;
- Kyiv region – a natural reserve covering 2006 ha was created ;
- Luhansk region – 4 natural reserves covering 135,1 ha were created;
- Lviv region 6 – 2 natural monuments covering 0,3 ha were created; the area of 2 natural reserves was expanded by 18,4 ha, a monument of garden and park art covering 13 ha was created;
- Zaporizhzhia region – 3 natural reserves totally covering 361,13 ha were created, the monument of garden and park art “Lisolpytomnik” was expanded by 42,9 ha, 2 monuments of garden and park art covering 1,3932 ha were created;
- Ternopil region 7 – 9 protected areas totally covering 40,71 ha were created. Moreover, the area of two protected areas was increased by 72 ha.
ThecityofKyivaswellas Vinnytsia8, Volyn9, Sumy 10 Ivano-Frankivsk, Chernivtsi11, Kharkiv12, Poltava13, Kherson14, Kirovohrad15, Zhytomyr, Rivne16, Mykolayiv17, Khmelnytsk18, Donetskregionsin 2015 didnotcreateprotectedareas. Because of the annexation, no protected areas were created in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and in the city of Sevastopol.
Moreover, by its Decree № 657/2015 of 24.11.2015, the President of Ukraine created Nyzhniodniprovkyi national natural park with the area of 80177,80 ha.
Thus, during the year 2015 in Ukraine the area of natural reserves expanded by 91633,1899 ha, including 11 455,3899 ha – natural reserves of local importance and80177,80 ha of the national importance.
ByitsResolution № 385 of 6 August 2014 , theCabinetofMinistersofUkraineapprovedtheStateStrategyof Regional Development of Ukraine for the period up to 2020 that states that by 2017 6733 ha of protected areas should be created in Ukraine, by 2021 – 9095 ha. The share of protected areas in the total area of Ukraine should be 11% on 1 January 2017, 15% in early January 2021. These indicators are more detailed for specific regions.
In 2015 only 1,3% of the area that was supposed to get the status of “protected” in 2015-2016 in fact were awarded this status, which is 2,6% of the total plan for 2015.
Interesting enough that in Ternopil region 7 protected areas that earlier had Soviet names were renamed by decisions of the regional council.
On the other hand, there were some losses of protected areas in 2015. For example, in Chernihiv region two natural monuments (trees) lost their protected status and Sumy regional council 19deptived of protected status “Lytovskyi bir” tract covering 914 ha that sparkled hot discussions in academic circles20. The protected tract is part of the national natural park “Hetmanskyi”. Therefore, according to the legislation it should be included to its protected zone. This means that no economic activities are allowed in its territory. Thus, it becomes obvious that the protected status was canceled with the aim to allow sanitary tree logging on protected areas. However, in April by its decree the Ministry of Environment of Ukraine banned all sanitary tree logging in national natural parks.21.
Oleksiy Vasyliuk, EPL environmentalist
(032) 225 76 82, 097 100 04 73
2 Letter of Zakarpattia regional state administration №2/01-29 of 14.01.2016
3 Letter of Chernihiv regional state administration №8 of 15.01.2016
4 Letter of Odessa regional state administrationof 14.01.16 № 4-ІЗ
5 Letter of Dnipropetrovsk regional state administration №51/0/2-16 of 13/01/2016
6 Letter of Lviv regional state administration №13-1 of 18.01.2016
7 Letter of Ternopil regional state administration of 13.01.2016 №3/06
8 Letter of Vinnytsia regional state administration №5 of 14.01.2016
9 Letter of Volyn regional state administration №66/66/2-16 of 15.01.2016
10 Letter of Sumy regional state administration №04/01-55 of 15.01.2015
11 Letter of Chernivtsi regional state administration №2 of 14.01.2016
12 Letter of Kharkiv regional state administration №03-01/13-3 of 15.01.2016
13 Letter of Poltava regional state administration №В-16002 of 15.01.2006
14 Letter of Kherson regional state administration №186-01/11-072-66/57 of 12.01.2016
15 Letter of Kirovohrad regional state administration №46-77/1 of 14.01.2016
16 Letter of Rivne regional state administration №9-02/5 of 12.01.2016
17 Letter of Mykolayiv regional state administration 13.01 .2016 7q, 2-28із-ro-1 6
18 Letter of Khmelnytsk regional state administration of 12.01.2016 № 4/ П І
19 Letter of Sumy regional state administration №04/01-55 of 15.01.2015