Matters addressed included:
- reviewing IUCN’s ongoing work with the judiciary;
- establishment of the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law;
- the update of the Draft Covenant on Environment and Development;
- the work of CEL specialists groups;
- the launch of the Dr Parvez Hassan Environmental Law Centre, and upcoming events, including the ‘Water and the Web of Life’ conference, the World Parks Congress and the World Conservation Congress.
The meeting agreed to the expansion of steering committee membership, establishment of new specialist groups on Compliance and Enforcement, Human Rights and Environment, Oceans, and Trade and Environment and reestablishment of the group on Armed Conflict and the Environment.
The Steering Committee unanimously endorsed EPL as an IUCN CEL ‘centre of excellence’ and admitted over 50 new members from more than 15 countries, including Andriy Andrusevych from EPL